Source – If the story of the dude’s . “I pulled down the bottom of my eye and noticed that my skin looked weird there. So I put my fingers in with a sort of a plucking motion, and a worm came out!
I was just in shock. I ran into my crewmate Allison’s room, and I said, ‘I need you to see this! I just pulled a worm out of my eye!’ I looked at it, and it was moving. And then it died within about five seconds.”
Fourteen total worms were found in Beckley’s eye, a condition that had only ever been seen in cattle, and never in humans.
Eventually, she was transferred to an eye specialist in Portland, who sent off samples to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, concluding that she had contracted Thelazia gulosa, a parasite never seen in humans that is spread by flies that feed on eyeball lubrication.
This species of Thelazia worm was previously seen in cattle throughout the northern United States and southern Canada, the researchers reported in a study published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
They said the study indicates that North Americans may be more vulnerable than previously understood to such infections. If the worms remain in a person’s eye for a prolonged time, they can cause corneal scarring and even blindness, according to the researchers.
Well that’s just freaking delightful. Nature is pissed off at us, and for good reason, and now we have to worry about worms in our eyes. Not cool.
Great. Now we have to worry about fucken eye worms. Wash your damned hand’s people. especially if you work with cows in a third world country.