Full Disclosure: Gerry is a very good friend of mine. I’ve known him for 15 years, and he a father to two girls and a boy. So I post this with great certainty that if you disagree with me, you’re stupid.
Gerry was asked to do a video for the CWHL (Canadian Women’s Hockey League) in the theme of chirping players no matter the sex of that player. He’s trying to help sell tickets to the ASG for the ladies and it was funny:
— Gerry Dee (@gerrydee) January 9, 2019
That’s okay Jill. I’ve never heard of you either. I didn’t know you were a lifeguard. To most of us, you just look like a shitty lifeguard with lots of free time taking a selfie while two people are drowning behind you. https://t.co/NR1282wRb9
— Gerry Dee (@gerrydee) January 10, 2019
I think it’s to easy to say people “don’t get it’. I’m making an educated guess based on twitter experience 85-95% of the people who complained about this, asked for a retraction didn’t watch the video and the other 15-5%, haven’t been in a meaningful relationship in a long time.
The bit was brilliant. You’re unhappy in your life and need to talk to someone about the impending doom you feel when you wake up in the morning if you think otherwise.
It highlights an interesting issue my man Jordan noted in the last tweet. This is also the most I’ve talked about, typed or been interested in the CWHL, ever. it’s not about women or women’s hockey. It’s about relevance for me and my sports watching requires the kind of triage where CWHL games get skipped for Raptors, Leafs, Jays etc. I don’t watch women’s hockey the same way I won’t watch a Toronto Wolfpack rugby match. My dance card with teams is full and rugby/other hockey doesn’t appeal to me as a replacement. Doesn’t mean it’s bad and I think a professional women’s hockey league is a great thing for women of all ages who play the game to aspire too. It’s really good hockey played by the best female players in the world and it has as much a right to exist and flourish as the men’s game and I hope it does.
In all this is easy to see the militant twitter people are misrepresnting women in general so pay no nevermind to these dorks. Not because they are women but because being a woman to them means you can’t have a sense of humor or embrace common sense about true equality. Lighten up (insert gender-neutral name here)
Can you imagine, if any of these people saw this episode of Mr. D?
Still, incredibly entertaining to watch dumb people virtue signal after completely missing the point. And who is Melanie Jue? I feel like she’s a bad teammate.
Gerry has daughters who are terrific athletes. If anyone ‘Gets it,’ he does.
If you plan on complaining about this post or bastardizing the words in the post for the purposes of starting a news cycle about me being anti-female, please send my boss an email.