The Artery Community Roasters in Ottawa change lives daily with their mission statement. It goes like this:
1) Employ people living with disabilities and pay them a living wage.
2) Inspire other businesses to hire people with disabilities and pay them, and their other employees, a living wage.
3) Roast ethically sourced specialty coffee with care, and get it to consumers within a week or less of roasting. We like it fresssssssssh.
4) Limit our impact on the environment.
Today their founder Will Wells joins me to tell their amazing tale and hopefully inspire you along the way. Who are they?
– The Artery Community Roasters, help people living with disabilities find worthwhile employment and freshly roasted specialty coffee.
– All the employees who are roasting and packaging their coffee, are people living with disabilities.
– They produce some of the best specialty coffee around. Freshly roasted on innovative fluid bed roasters, and sell direct trade coffee that is sourced through their friends at Semilla Coffee, who are coffee advocates and small-scale importers who care. This allows them to operate with only 1 to 2 degrees of separation between us and the farmers who grow our delicious coffee.
We talk about it all including how it all came together, their amazing employees, and how to help their cause? An inspiring story today to break up the usual shitty news and awful people that we have become accustomed to lately. If you really want to crack a smile, subscribe to their coffee subscription service and take your tastebuds to happy town!