No. It’s not “just Thousand Islands” salad dressing. It’s incredibly easy to make and totally customizable if you want to kick it up a notch and make it spicy! It makes an incredible fry dipper as well. Contrary to popular belief, there is no ketchup in the recipe. I’m not sure what some folks are tasting, but variations call for BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar and other wacky options. My philosophy on cooking is the least amount of ingredients usually makes the best tasting food. Keep this simple!
All you need
- 1/2 cup of regular mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish (not the tangy dill one)
- 1 Tbsp grated yellow onion (with juices)
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar (this is crucial for the authentic flavour”
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (not smoked) Spanish Paprika works well
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Mix everything in a bowl and let sit in the fridge for an hour or more to let the flavour settle.