Ridiculously easy, incredibly tasty crispy skin loaded baked potatoes. Stop foil-wrapping your potato! There is a WAY better way to get all the flavour out of your spuds!
- 2 baking potatoes (Russets)
- 1 cup of shredded sharp (old) cheddar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Green Onion stalks chopped (or chives)
- Salted butter for soak & dressing
- Chopped crispy bacon to dress
- 2 tablespoons of rocksalt
- 2 tablespoons of freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of dry minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dry rosemary (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon of dry Thyme
- 1/2 cup of EVOO
Lets Do This!
Wash potatoes, fork-pierce the skin & pat dry. Place them in a plastic bag or a Ziploc that will fit them. Melt equal parts butter and olive (or canola) oil and pour over the potatoes. Mix all your dry rub ingredients together, sprinkle into the bag and shake em up. Let them sit for a few hours on the counter.
Preheat the oven (or smoker/bbq) to 400° and bake UNCOVERED directly on the rack/grill for 1-1.5hrs, rotating them once in between. Remove and cut them in half and dress em up! If you’re doing this on a BBQ, make sure you cook them indirectly (burner on one side, food on the other.)
This order holds up best: Butter, salt & pepper, cheese, sour cream, bacon and green onion.
Consistency is a crispy ‘tater skin’ shell with chunky mashed potato inside. Just look at the colour between the skin and the flesh. AMAZING!